While ownership of this blog has changed, this page will remain dedicated to the site’s original owner, Jen. In her words:
Hello, My name is Jen and I’m a reformed spendaholic….
I’m also a(n):
- Out of the box thinker
- DIY enthusiast
- Lover of nature
- Mac & cheese connoisseur
- Curbside Diva
- Ultra marathoner (One 50-miler and 38 regular marathons so far)
- Adventure seeker
- Bargain hunter
- Funny noise maker
- World traveler (32 countries and counting!)
- Rose smeller
- Day dreamer
Who is the Happy Homeowner?
My journey to home ownership began quite some time ago. Rewind 10 years and you’d find a broke, naive college graduate struggling to figure out the “real” world, student loan repayment, and a mountain of consumer debt ($14,000 to be exact).
While it has always been my goal to be a fiscally responsible, home-owning citizen, I found myself off track and quite discouraged. Who was I? Who did I want to be? How should I live my life?
In 2010, I bought my first property and crossed an item off my bucket list: To own my first place before the age of 30. Fast-forward three years, and I sold the property for $30K over asking thanks to my DIY rehabs (it was a foreclosure) and some luck with the Boston real estate market.
I’ve just purchased my next property, a single-family home, and I look forward to sharing my DIY adventures in this second foray into the world of homeownership!
What is this blog all about?
Born out of a desire to hold myself accountable with my finances, I began The Happy Homeowner as a way to chronicle my struggles and triumphs with money.
What once began as a hobby has now grown into a network of support and inspiration from amazing, kick-ass bloggers and (I hope) a wealth of inspiration for those who may be struggling with their own financial issues.
Although I’m based in the United States, I write for a global audience.
While my blog had its original roots in all things personal finance, I decided to branch out in an effort to inspire others in a broader way. Now, you’ll find more information about my passions, interests, and random musings including DIY projects (that won’t bust your wallet or leave you in tears–ain’t nobody a fan of Pinterest Fails), fitness, and various creative pursuits.
Above all, my mission is to inspire other to live a happy, healthy, balanced lifestyle that’s also financially sound.
I want to know more!
In that case, check out the following:
- How a Trip Around the World Changed My Views on Life and Money
- How I paid off over $14,000 in credit card debt in less than a year
- Confessions of a PF Blogger–My financial history, story by story
- My tips & tricks for managing multiple jobs
- How I Scored a Masters degree from Harvard for less than 500 bucks
- My Life List
- Frugality Gone Wrong: The True Cost of Owning a BMW
- Looking Good Costs Money….Or Does It?
- I Made $10K During my First Full Month as a Freelancer
- Personal Finance 101: Setting Financial Goals
- What Running 26.2 Miles Can Teach You About Personal Finance
- I Sold My Condo for $30K over the Asking Price
- How I Saved My Down Payment Fund